Do you rush around all day, every day and notice when you finally wind down you are feeling too stressed to relax?
Well, you’re not alone!
Stress is a fixture in our modern culture and too many people accept living with stress as if there were no other way to live.
So in today’s post, I’m going to tell you about an amazing technique that allows you to shift your state of mind by shifting your focus.
I call it “The Wide Angle Technique.” All you need to do is follow the steps below:
1) Take a few deep breaths right from your stomach, and then begin to focus in on a spot in front of you slightly above the level of your head. A wall is good.
2) With your eyes open, begin to broaden your field of vision (your peripheral vision) until you are aware of what you are seeing at the edges of your vision. Be relaxed in your body.
3) There is nothing to do but notice, and be aware of your surroundings.
4) Now expand your awareness to all 360 degrees. Yes, I know this isn’t really possible – however you can let your senses become aware of what’s behind you.
5) As you deepen into this process, and become more aware of your peripheral vision, be aware of your muscles loosening and your breathing becoming slower and deeper.
6) Now simply maintain focused on the space around you and continue to relax into the breath.
This powerful technique works by quieting your mind. Your mind becomes the observer instead being active. Focusing this way triggers your body’s relaxation response.
I encourage you to try it next time you find your shoulders creeping up around your ears.
You’ll be glad you did!
What is YOUR favourite stress-reducing exercise?
For more information on how learning NLP can dramatically improve your life, professional pursuits, and relationships, read our groundbreaking FREE ebook, “A Resourceful Life: How NLP Can Improve Your Seven Life Streams“.