If you’re a coach or NLP practitioner, did you know that you’ll have increased success when you discover the core values of your clients?
We all know that our beliefs and values define who we are and how we live our lives. Some of those values are more inaccessible, or deeply ingrained than others. As coaches or NLP practitioners, it’s important that we assist our clients to discover the “sets of laws” they are living by. We have more than one set of values we have value sets for our key life areas which help us evaluate and make decisions.
Today I’m going to share with you a simple system to assist your client to uncover their core values. (Oh yes, and you can try this, too! It’s a very enlightening exercise.)
1) Have the client think about what they value most in a particular life area. Ask the simple question ‘What is important to you about life area?’ then ask what else is important, and repeat until you have 6-10 values (usually single words). You can have a list of values for them to refer to if they need prompting – things like freedom, health, service, success etc.
2) Have them take those values and the reason why they are important and what they mean to the person (for example: “Success is important to me because…”).
3) Then have them place them in order of priority.
4) Have them review the list and ask them if they feel anything is missing.
5) Also are they in the right order to generate the motivation needed if not what would be a better order.
Doing this simple exercise will allow you and your client to understand what is driving and motivating their life. It also lets you help your client examine the behaviours these values create.
Now they are in a position to make some clear decisions about the direction they want to head.
For more information on how learning NLP can dramatically improve your life, professional pursuits, and relationships, read our groundbreaking FREE ebook, “A Resourceful Life: How NLP Can Improve Your Seven Life Streams“.