If you want to communicate with confidence and leadership, develop a habit of being outcome focused.
Often, people focus on what they hope won’t happen instead of what they want to have happen. But the unconscious mind cannot process negative thoughts. As a leader, the more you concentrate on what you don’t want with your team, the more you’ll much get what you so anxiously want to avoid!
To combat this problem, focus on what you do want to happen. Instead of shutting the mind down, this type of thinking opens you and your team up to possibilities, adjustments, and innovations.
Here’s an exercise to help — you can do it by yourself or with your team:
- First, consider a small business problem that you want to solve.
- Ask the following questions:
- What is the problem or issue?
- How long has it been a problem?
- Who caused the problem or issue?
- Who should take the blame?
- What is the worst thing that could happen?
- What has stopped you from solving the problem or issue?
- Now ask yourself if this conversation has gotten you any closer to a solution you desire. The answer will most likely be no!
- Create a shift in thought by answering the following questions about the same issue you brought up initially:
- What do you want to happen?
- How will you know when you have reached your outcome?
- What resources can you draw on that will help you get what you want?
- What resources are critical to getting what you want?
- Where have you already been successful with something similar?
- What is the first thing you need to do to get what you want?
- Ask yourself again how you’re are feeling. If you have fully answered the questions above, you should have a good grasp of what has to be done to get the problem solved in a timely manner.
What other techniques do you have for shifting from problem thinking to outcome focus?
For more information on how you can become a powerful business communicator, download a complimentary copy of our groundbreaking new ebook, “The Leader’s Guide to Clear and Effective Communication” at EvolutionTraining.co.uk/LeadershipBook.
Latest posts by Roger Terry (see all)
- The Leaders Guide Download - December 20, 2017
- 5 Biggest Communication Mistakes Managers Make Download - December 18, 2017
- The Stone Cutter – A Tale of Power and and the search for happiness - December 13, 2017
- Understanding and working with your values - December 9, 2017